Wednesday, November 30

 

A GRUNT'S LETTER FROM IRAQ

This came across our desk today. It is not an official Centcom news release.


Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2005 1:34 PM

Subject: Update from Iraq...


Hello everyone,

Here is todays journal entry, un-edited. Copied exactly as I wrote it.

20Nov05 -
I was in Mosul today. There was Major I (my team leader), Brian (one of my young Sergeants), Zack (our interpretor) and myself. We were at a coalition base, we were finished with our business for the day, and had some time to relax before our convoy departed for the return trip. Our terp suggested that we have some chai (tea) at the Turkish restaurant that is on the base. This restaurant sits next to the airfield, right next to the flight line where passengers board aircraft of all kinds for flights to various locations.

As we sat there, I noticed that there were a large number of ODA guys (SF guys…easily identifiable by there trademark customized uniforms, custom weapons and usually beards) gathering around. Then I realized what was happening. Over the previous 18 hours I had heard several accounts of this story. This is what I have pieced together:

Yesterday in Mosul, two American soldiers were killed in action while fighting terrorists. One was a Special Forces guy, and the other was an Infantry soldier from the Stryker Brigade in Mosul. The story is that the Iraqi Army had taken some sniper fire from a house while out on a patrol. A quick reaction force was assembled, consisting of SF, IA and some infantry guys. As they stormed the house that the fire was coming from it suddenly exploded. Apparently there was a vehicle borne IED parked in the garage of the home, and it was detonated as the Coalition Forces entered the home. The whole house exploded…then caved in on the soldiers in the home. One American soldier died instantly, and another died of his wounds later. An IA soldier was killed and several terrorists (I had heard 7 terrorists).

So as we sat there on the patio of this Turkish restaurant, this scene was slowly starting to develop. It was a very somber, yet proud moment. The crowd of SF guys was steadily growing. Over 20-30 mins, they grew in numbers. I think all of us knew what was about to happen, but none of us stood up to leave. Instead, we sat there for 2 hours waiting for the moment.

Two blackhawks land, offload a few passengers and some gear. They load a few new passengers, then are off again.

A C-130 landed, off-loaded a few passengers and some cargo. The crew chiefs swept the plane out. Got all their gear stowed. Basically cleared the deck of the plane.

SF guys still coming, there must be about 200 of them by now. There is a guy carrying some draped colors.

Two more blackhawks land, actually looks like the same ones from before. I recognize the crew chiefs. But this time, they don’t offload anyone, or load anyone. They park and kill their engines.

Again, all of us know what is about to happen. Yet, none of us move, we sit quietly sipping our chai. There are quite a few people on the patio now, all the chairs are full around us. I think they are waiting for the same thing we are.

Finally it all starts to happen. Approx 300-400 soldiers head out toward the back of the waiting C-130. They quietly line up in two lines, facing each other off the back of the plane. Then an Army 5-ton truck drives slowly onto the tarmac, backs into place at the end of the waiting line of soldiers. As the 5-ton gets into position, two groups of soldiers of about 12 soldiers each march toward the truck. The second group is moving very slowly, and moving kinda funny. Then I remember a detail I had heard, that quite a few US soldiers had been injured in the incident. The second group is full of injured soldiers, some limping, others just moving like they are in obvious pain, and one guy on crutches. I am thinking these are these guys teammates, that were on the raid with him when they died.

Everyone on the patio is standing now. Everyone in sight of the tarmac is stopped, standing quietly, facing the tarmac and the plane. I even notice the crews of the parked Blackhawks are standing on the edge of the tarmac, as well.

A Sergeant Major calls the soldiers on the tarmac to attention. Everyone on the patio comes to attention. Everyone within sight of the tarmac come to attention.

It is hard to describe the feelings you have when you first see it. The flag draped over a casket. Red, white and blue…slowly coming out of the back of a desert sand colored 5-ton truck. Its like a kick to the stomach, really. Pride. Sorrow. I didn’t even know these guys. And it is my gut feeling that most of the people standing around didn’t either. Yet, we all stood at attention. I’m not sure about everyone else around me, but it was probably the most emotional moment I have had since I have been here.

The Sergeant Major calls Present Arms. We all salute.

The first casket moves slowly down the line toward the awaiting plane. Then the second one comes out of the truck. Again, red, white and blue contrasting against the sand colored truck.

This time, the group of obviously injured soldier move into position to carry the casket. No injury was going to stop these guys from carrying their brother to his ride home. This flag covered casket slowly moves toward the plane.

Order Arms. Salutes drop. The two lines slowly file onto the plane to say their good-byes.

It was a quiet ride to the link up point to catch our convoy home. Like I said, I didn’t know either one of these soldiers. But I can say that I was truly honored to be there at that moment. I was honored to be able to pay my respects. Honored to have been able to salute to a fallen brother-in-arms. Seeing that whole scene today just re-affirms many feelings I have about why I am here…why we are here…tonight, my resolve is deepened.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

As I write this tonight, my heart goes out to their families, who are grieving…to the hearts that are broken at the passing of these two warriors. Rest in Peace, brothers.

As I write this tonight, I am thankful and honored to be an American Soldier.
Weblog LINK

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?